Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Recap!

Happy Mother's Day Everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend!

My weekend was an absolute blast! Saturday morning we got up early to go run the Mom Run 5k. I hadn't been feeling 100% (vertigo on Thursday and Friday) and so I didn't want to push myself too hard. I decided to push the little man in his stroller so that Derek could go for a good time.
The course itself was pretty boring. It was an out-and-back, but at least the road did curve. The worst part of the run was not the course itself, but a little interference by a construction crew. A little less than a mile in, there was a helecopter moving beams on a 4-5 story building right next to the course. When I got to it, it moved directly over the road. At this point I was running next to
another lady with a stroller. When we hit the wind coming off of the helecopter we both pretty much stopped. We were running as hard as we could, but we were not making any progress! You could tell how hard we were running, because when we hit
the edge of air stream, we both took off at a full sprint. I'm sure it was hilarious to see us go from 0-50 when we hit that point. We just looked at each other, laughed, and kept going. I did not run the whole course. It has been about a year since I pushed the stroller on a run, and on top of that I hadn't been feeling that great. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I ran 3 miles without having to stop. I did manage to run over half of it, and ran/walked the rest. I was pretty proud of myself. Even my walk was faster though! I knocked 5 minutes off of my time from last year! Derek won his age group though! Ok, there were only 2 of them, but still he won!

{Derek picking up his award for winning his age group!}



After the race we went out to visit my mom. She left for Florida Sunday morning, so we had our Mother's day festivities a little early. Her gift this year was a bookmark I made. She was pretty impressed, and I'm hoping it's not just because she's my mom!
This is the bookmark I made for her. My mom is a very vibrant, exciting person. I chose the orange flower because the color just reminded me of how bright she is all the time. The flower is done in leopard print because it's fun, just like my mom! And my *favorite* part is the button! It says "Grand Slam" on it! Ok, I did take it from one of Derek's shirts (I love that they always give you an extra), but my mom is the biggest baseball fan and I just found it so fitting!





  
Sunday morning I awoke to breakfast in bed. All 3 of us piled onto our small bed and ate french toast. Little dude thought this was HILARIOUS! He loves it when we have picnics. They gave me a sweet card (which my little man colored) and a special "allowance" to spend at "the fabric store of my choice."


After church we went to lunch with my in-laws. Derek's mom was excited to receive a bookmark from me as well! And she gave me a giftcard to Joanns! This is the bookmark I made for my mother-in-law. She is more traditional than my mom, and I liked the "cottage" look to this fabric. I can picture her curled up in an arm chair with a good book and this bookmark. It fits the vibe of the scene in my head (does that make me weird or artisitc?).

So after church we headed to the fabric stores. First we hit up Joann's. I got some bias tape for the purse I was making (I knew I wanted black), and a little sewing kit. It has pins, a pin cushion, a tape measure, and scissors (all of which I didn't have). It also came with some more needles and a thimble. The next stop was,
my personal favorite, Hancock's! It felt so weird to *not* be shopping the clearance rack! Don't get me wrong, I definitely looked, but they didn't have anything that jumped out at me. Since I was using gift money, I took the plunge and bought what I wanted! Pretty fabric for my purse {tutorial here} and for the travel place-mat {tutorial here} I'm making! I also got some fusible interfacing (and got to learn what it was), and some bias tape for the placemat.

When we got home sleepy face wouldn't nap, so we hung out and played in the living  room all day. I did get to get my coupons clipped (so I can go shop at lunch on Monday) and my purse pattern cut out. After dinner I got to put together my purse!

All in all it was a great weekend! Very relaxing and fun! I hope everyone else had a magical weekend as well!

*The bookmarks I made used the tutorial here*

No comments:

Post a Comment