Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Project Paper - Day #1

Welcome to Day #1 of Jen at IheartOrganizing’s Project Paper challenge!

Yesterday's challenge had 3 parts:
1) Research what you need to hold on to
2) Keep what you need
3) Recyle the rest!

After my little man went to bed last night, I got to work. I started wth my Mary kay filing because it needed to be done. I pulled it all out and consolidated it into 2 expandable files. I’m not sure why I needed two whole filing cabinet drawers for this before…

The next thing I did was to tackle the personal/home filing. It didn’t take long to go through, and I ended up with a nice sized pile of trash, and a nice sized pile of things to be shredded. We don’t actually get pay stubs anymore (they’re available online), so there really isn’t much that we have to keep. I have taxes of course, a section for house stuff (warranty, receipts from work we’ve had done/appliances, electricity agreement, etc), a section for cars (service policy information, can insurance, etc),a section for medical stuff, a section for legal stuff and that’s all I can think of right now (I’m not able to go to the office right this second).

Other things I found in the cabinets that will need homes:
Spare sheets for the futon we no longer have
Instruction booklets for anything we’ve ever owned
Lots of office supplies

So here are my drawers now:






(personal/home files...)




(Mary Kay filing)

I anticipate getting rid of more paper clutter from the keep pile as I start putting things back together. My next big step is going to be rounding up all of the rest of the paper from the room. I have a plan though! I’m going to take 3 big cardboard boxes and put them in the middle of the room. One will be trash, one will be shred, and one will be keep. Then I am going to buzz around the office like a little bee until there is not one piece of paper that can be seen outside of those boxes. I *might* take a picture after this because it will be a huge transformation just the get the “crap” out, but I might not. I’m thinking it may be best to wait on the full office pictures so that I can shock everyone with an amazing before and after later! We’ll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment